Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Peace That Conference Brings

I just love General Conference. I love listening to the prophets and apostles and general authorities and gleaning from the wisdom and knowledge and peace that they have.

Here are a couple of lessons that really stuck out to me:
-From Elder L. Tom Perry: Each of the four things needed to survive (food, clothing, shelter, fuel) has a physical and spiritual application: Food. Think about the promised blessing for living the Word of Wisdom... the destroying angel will pass you by! (I don't know about you, but that is something that I think I really might want promised to me in the last days! So I should study that principle a little more and make sure I'm living it properly). Clothing. Be not only modest, but appropriate in your dress. Casual dress is followed by casual manners. (I don't want to be found casually living the gospel when the Lord comes again... something comes to mind about the 10 virgins and half of the church not being adequately prepared!) Shelter. Live within your means. Stay out of debt and save for a rainy day. Live a simplified lifestyle. Fuel. Our spiritual fuel is to gain a knowledge of God's plan and our role in it. 
-Several speakers mentioned that in order to prepare for the last days, we need to be keeping the commandments. Why? So that we can always have the Spirit with us. Why is that important? It may seem obvious, but to put it into words, I feel it is so that we can be warned when something is going to happen, or so we can be prompted to take a necessary course of action to help keep us safe (spiritually, physically, financially, what have you), OR so that we can be brought necessary peace in a time of turmoil that may test our faith. Some of my favorite thoughts on this included  one from Elder Wirthlin... "Come what may, and love it!" (During hard times, learn to laugh.) Elder Oaks said that the Sacrament is the most sacred of ordinances and that it is a commandment with a promise, because when we worthily take the sacrament, we have the promise that we will always have the Lord's spirit to be with us. Elder Holland said that the latter days are not a time to fear, but a time to remember our covenants and keep them. Elder Packer noted that whatever tests come, stay true. President Eyring said that unity will be hard to maintain in the days ahead. But we need to stay together as a church, and more importantly as a family. Elder Cook said that to prepare for the hard times we need to keep the commandments and stay grateful! And finally, from President Monson... Change will always come, whether it is welcome or unwelcome. No matter what comes, learn to enjoy the journey now. (Is that enough evidence of the importance of preparing SPIRITUALLY for the last days?)
And here's just some of my favorite quotes or general thoughts that I got out of it all:
-"The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare." (from Sis. Dalton's talk, quoting the winner of the Boston Marathon)
-There is no friendship so valuable as your own clear conscience. (Sis. Dalton)
-Take courage and have faith. The Lord has said He will fight our battles. (Elder Holland)
-Can we be an angel to someone in need? (Elder Holland)
-Respond to confrontational situations in a Christ-like manner... always in a way that will invite the spirit. (Elder Hales) ...which reminds me of one of the LDS commercials they showed after conference... "You're never a winner if you lose your temper."

I hope you all enjoyed the messages as much as I did. I'm so grateful that we have these amazing leaders to help us learn and know what we need to be working on. I'm so grateful to the Lord for giving us modern day revelation. What peace it brings to my heart.
Loves to you all!

3 comments:

Camie said...

Don't you just the spiritual uplift conference gives you!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like listening to your breakdown of the conference talks and the apostle's great words, while listening to "Men in Black". Quite funny!!!!! You should try it...:)

Bonnie and Mark said...

Gee Deb, you sound like me:-) I'm delighted to claim you:-) Love the seasonal blog template...such cute Halloween ghouls! I AM SO EXCITED TO COME VISIT YOU GUYS!!!Wahoo!!