Okay, so I knew this day was bound to come. Thankfully, I'd prepped myself for it.
The drama all started when Dixie's hair was starting to look a little mullet-ish, so I decided to give her a hair cut. It's the first time I've cut her hair (although it's not her first hair cut... my mom cut it once) and she was quite enthralled with the process. As soon as I took my first snip, I knew I was going shorter than I'd intended (drama bit #1). I was a little bummed because I had really enjoying doing fun things with her hair. But oh well. It wasn't TOO short, and all in all I did an alright job. I even layered it a little. I was so proud. My first time cutting my daughter's hair. :) But somewhere in the back of my mind, I heard this little voice saying "...And now she has seen the scissors to her hair. It's all over from here." But I thought for SURE it would be a while before she found and pushed this envelope... especially since I carefully stowed the scissors away behind a child-proofed door. Well, since this was my first time cutting hair, it naturally was not perfect. AND being the perfectionist that I am (curse that perfectionist gene!), there was a little spot that kept nagging at me until finally, the next day, I busted out the scissors again and took a few more snips off. Ah... much better.
THIS time, however, I neglected to carefully put away the scissors. Yes, we can all see where this is going now...
Later that day (this was last Sunday) I was resting in the family room when Dixie comes up to me saying, "Brush the hair? Brush the hair?" to which I groggily reply, "you want to brush my hair?" Then I start to open my eyes a little more and focus a little more on her face/hair and I notice that there are strands of hair hanging at odd angles, looking a little like she's just had chemotherapy and her hair is falling out.
Panic.
I immediately reach for her hair (I believe I was saying "No, no, please no" the whole time) and pull out chunks at a time of my daughter's lovely locks (continue the "no, no, please no!"). She had found the scissors (which had been put up, but not away) and had hacked at her poor hair. Some spots were cut pretty much to the scalp. Others were a couple inches long. But she had taken a snip from just about all sides of her hair (the right side being the most afflicted).

(you can see in her reflection the difference in the amount of hair left on each side of her head)
Again, luckily I had prepared myself for such a day as this, or I'm sure I would have had an immediate melt down. As it was, I was somewhere in a mixture of laughter and tears. It really was quite comical to look at, and yet devastating. She kept looking at herself in the mirror with a confused look as to why I was in such shock over her wonderful masterpiece.
Well, needless to say, the damage was severe enough that it was time to bring in the professionals. The next day I took her to Fantastic Sam's and let them repair the train wreck. THANKFULLY Dixie had left the top of her hair unscathed, so there was still something to work with. And so now I present to you our little pixie Dixie:


Isn't she a doll?! :)




6 comments:
Oh Debbie...I LOVE IT...the cut is so cute on her!! It fits her spunky personality:-) And I've put all your pics that I had (some 250) onto a CD...I'll put it in the mail tomorrow. Life is still good:-)
Love ya...tons!
Ah Debs! I was so sorry to read about losing your pics. Thank goodness we've entered the era of blogging and photo sharing that it's not as bad as could have been. I will take your advice and get my pics downloaded to CDs although I've sent most already to Costco.
About the OTHER drama, as Mom warned you I would -I had to giggle. Sorry!!! I just know what you're going through! Although in Dixie's case I would say no real harm done -she looks DARLING!!!
And p.s. -you're initial cut was super cute too!
SOOOO cute!!! Unfortunately, she has the cutting bug. Kayte cut her hair 5 times-arg! IT's a good thing our cuties look good in pixie cuts!-lol!
All I have to say is man you got LUCKY! It turned out adorable! I'm sorry, I know it must have been traumatic for you, but I was laughing the whole time I was reading. She is such an big girl:) That part about her looking in the mirror confused about why you didn't love her masterpeice... Gotta love it:)
GEEZ! That was hilarious after I read on that you were okay...I tried not to laugh until you were okay!!!!
i think I told you Halle did that same thing a few days before we came over to your place. Luckily she just did bangs. :) Dixie is such a cutie. I like the new short do. What can ya do ya know. They are so proud of their skills. :)
Post a Comment