Monday, November 30, 2009

The Night Shift



Starting today, Jim will be working the night shift at work. I feel like I'm supposed to be really bummed about it, but I think it has some pluses that I may really enjoy. His shift will be from 5 PM to about 2 AM. He'll come home, sleep till about 11 AM or noon and then he'll be up and able to spend time with me and the girls. That's about 5 hours a day he has to be with his girls. That's much more than the 2-3 hours he would get to spend with them before. And I can even run errands while he's here with them so I'll be kid-free! That didn't really work before because by the time he got home, it was time for dinner, then play for a little bit before we had to get the kids ready for bed... there wasn't really any time to run errands (when I could just leave the girls with him) because it was a time crunch. So anyway, I definitely see some perks. On the other hand, it stinks that he will not be available to participate in any night events anymore (like the ward Christmas party coming up), he won't be here to help put the girls to bed (which is always chaotic even with two of us!), I'll have to keep the girls quiet in the mornings until he wakes up (ha! good luck!), and I won't be able to snuggle with him and watch romantic movies once the girls are asleep (sad!). So anyway, I guess time will tell how we really feel about, but I just hope Jim does alright with it and it doesn't stress him out much or make him overly tired. It's supposed to be a temporary thing, so we'll see how it goes. Best of luck to my hubby!

6 comments:

Gavin and Shawna said...

Ya, I can see perks both ways. Ask Denise...she's been that way for some time...it seems to work out really well for them. And if it temporary...even better.
Seems like my hubby is working day and night shifts lately...which means we rarely see him (especially with open eyes=))
Good luck to you too!!!

Rondo Family said...

My first reaction was bummer!, but I do see the perks that it offers as well:) Just give Jim ear plugs for the mornings:) It will be nice that you guys will be able to do stuff as a family though when most people can't. I hope it all works out:) Good luck Jim! We love you and appreciate how hard you work to support your amazing family:)

TheTerry's said...

wow, good luck you guys. i hope it all works out. it'll be so great to have more time with him during the day. i bet the girls will love it!

Anonymous said...

I have really learned to love the hours Chad works. We actually have a lot more quality family time and Chad is more involved in kids daily activities. Not to mention, Chad watches kids on his days off while I go to work! I am sure you learn to work well with any schedule you are dealt :-)

-Ang said...

Hey this sounds familiar -except Steve's schedule is pretty random and ever changing. Isn't errands without kids BLISS though?! Looking back on our own childhood -Dad's schedule was pretty great -huh?:)
Love ya! Can't wait to see you guys!

-Ang said...

P.S. I LOVE your Christmas Blog look!!!!